Friday, October 2, 2015

A Day I Saw A Rainbow

 This was a rather simple one day project with my Kindergartners. In keeping with my goals this year of focusing on skills with my Kindergartners and 1st graders, this was an assignment made to teach three things; drawing big, drawing curved lines, and marker skills (including listening to the cap click when closing the markers). For some gross motor skills, we practiced making the biggest curved lines we could while standing next to our seats starting as far as we could to one side, touching the floor, then stretching toward the ceiling lights as we came across to touch the floor on our other sides. We also did the reverse, the biggest happy faces we could draw in the air with our fingers.

We discussed times that we had seen a rainbow, and what kinds of weather we have on days when we see rainbows. To my surprise, some students claimed they had never seen a rainbow. While that is believable, it still made me just a bit sad. After discussing times we had seen a rainbow then created our drawings of "A Day I Saw A Rainbow." The kindergartners as always were super excited for the first time to use markers in the art room. Being the first time they had used markers with me, I demonstrated ways to take our time, to fill in areas with color, to fill our pages with color leaving no white, and not let our marker caps get away from us. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with how well the Kindergartners did for only their 3rd assignment in art, and one that focused on slowing down and really filling our pages with color.

No comments:

Post a Comment