Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Texturing and Tearing



Kindergartners and 1st graders recently completed some torn paper collage landscapes. We focused on texture for a while and are now looking at space and forms, so these collages served as a good transition to introduce space through overlapping.

After students created textured paper with crayons and texture plates, we got to tearing. When I ripped my first textured paper during my demonstration their faces got all concerned. "Mr. Fleming, why did you rip your paper?" they cried. "Because it's fun. Join me. Lets make some clouds". Before long, they loved it, and went to town ripping out cloud shapes, mountain shapes, tree shapes, hills, you name it. Of course, I did have a student or two that said "I can't do it". Of course I replied with "can't do what, rip paper?" They told me that they could not rip paper into the shapes of things. I had to coerce them into trying it. After all, it's just torn up paper it is not meant to look perfect. Even the reluctant tearers got the hang of it and had fun.





This assignment took two class times. One 9x12 blue construction paper, two 6x9 pieces of construction paper in two different colors, white paper from my scrap paper box, texture plates, glue, and crayons.

No comments:

Post a Comment